iWatch: Transforming India by empowerment of the people
“Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high;
Where knowledge is free;
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls;
Where words come out from the depth of truth;
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection;
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit;
Where the mind is led by thee into ever widening thought and action-
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake”
Source “Gitanjali”, verse XXXV
- Saumya Agrawal, Youth Leader India
iWatch is a citizen’s movement especially dedicated to the youth and the 770 million Indians below 35 years of age. It’s GOAL is to make India, a land, which is truly world class.
iWatch = i means India, Indians, you and me +Watch means we are watching and reporting what is happening in the country.
Krishan Khanna, an IIT Kharagpur graduate is the Founder Trustee of iWatch. He is a recipient of the National Citizen’s Award in 1996 presented by the Prime Minister of India.
The movement functions in three stages to transform India:
iWatch PROPOSALS for Empowering the people
1) Transforming India by empowering people, especially the YOUTH
The FOCUS of iWatch is on Human Resource Development, Governance and Administration, Policy Changes and Economy, Enterprise. These are explained in the book Transforming India.
Some of the change infusing ideas introduced in it are:
India as a knowledge economy. A bright and prosperous country. A happy objective to achieve. Literacy needs to be given A1 priority.
• Teaching Indian languages to the illiterates! How? By enabling the good work being done by TCS(www.tataliteracy.com). Easy, quick and cost effective way to literacy!
Image from TCS website tataliteracy.com
• India is a young country. Right vocational training(VET) and enterpreneurship skills development(ESD) can work wonders. And did you know ! With ESD and VET we use 90% of our brains!(SQ and EQ too).
• iWatch is for de-licensed higher education in India. What does that mean! It means freedom. And freedom is the way to quality education.
• Education will stabilize India’s population.
Lots of latent energy in India. Using this good governance and effective administration can make India blossom. That would imply zero corruption.
• In the book Transforming India, iWatch describes India.
“Imagine India as an aircraft travelling from the 20th to 21st century. Pilots are the politicians and MPs of Lok Sabha + Rajya Sabha. Co-Pilots are the MLAs + Councellors of 4000 Municipalities. Cabin crew is the employees of State and Central Government. Passengers are the 1,166 million people of India. The quality, safety, happiness and health of the 1,666 million passengers, depends entirely on the basic skills, education, experience, knowledge, training, sincerity, maturity and health and condition of Pilots+ Co-Pilots + Cabin Crew. Hence, use of effective Human Capital is the Golden Key which can transform India into a super-power.”
• iWatch conducts interactive workshops on subjects like, educational policy. Also,
how to increase GDP growth rate. How to make money after leaving college etc.
• Democracy requires both a top down and bottom up approach to function.
Employment policy should encourage GDP growth.
• Work ethics and work culture need improvement.
• Employment generation through VET. Different regions would have different enterprises and different VET courses would service them.
• Employment generation through SMEs(Small Medium Enterprises).
Economy. Poverty comes from lack of attitude. Ethics, integrity, responsibility, respect for laws, love for work, saving and investment are attributes of behavior of people in rich countries.
• Exports are important. Imagine how abundant India can be if the example of software business is duplicated for other spheres of Indian economy. Using internet, hosting websites for businesses and organizations, using international standards, benchmarking with best companies in the world, using foreign languages are some ways to increase global presence and exports.
• India has the potential to become an international hub for business. Just free the latent attributes, deregulate and modify.
2) e-class online! An audio video class-room learning concept of iWatch. http://e-classonline.com/portal/index.php Below is a screenshot from Standard 2 curriculum.
3) Dynamind is an e-teacher for e-learning enabling distance education. http://www.i2k.in/
Krishan Khanna talks about the Dynamind platform of iWatch.
Check out QUOTES from some CITIZENS about iWatch !
“I hope to use some wisdom gleaned from your paper in the formulation of my policies of corporate governance.” – N.R. Narayana Murthy, Chairman and Chief Mentor, Infosys“As an educationist and HRD consultant I strongly believe that the plan of iWatch for training 95% of the youth in 3000 areas of Vocational education is most innovative. If implemented, it would prove to be a major solution for the unemployment problem in India.” – Prof. Rooshikumar Pandya, International Management Guru“At the outset let me congratulate you on all your presentations and I feel happy and honoured that you have shown interest in our working together on vocational education and training. I can see the potential.” – Prof. Rupa Shah, Vice Chancellor, S.N.D.T. Women’s University“I have not heard of any NGO like iWatch which has such a holistic plan for Transforming India.” – Maj. Gen. D.N. Khurana, Director General, All India Management Association“iWatch is invited as a part of the expert panel to comment and suggest on the “India and the World 2025” scenarios at the interactive workshop organized by World Economic Forum and CII.” – Confederation of India Industry
ACTION for readers
What are the current projects at iWatch that I can help with?
Printing and distribution of iWatch publications in 12 Indian languages.
Mindset Change and offering solutions
Conducting interactive WORKSHOPS in schools and colleges based on iWatch publications.
iWatch plans to reach out to teachers in schools and colleges, public libraries, local and regional media and students of 25,000 colleges and 125,000 higher secondary schools across India.
iWatch publications are designed to change the mindset about the need for marks rather than skills.
Excited to be part of a change! You can help as a volunteer trainer of iWatch and propagate it’s ideas in regional languages. More ways of helping/volunteering are available on iWatch website under “Your Help” section by funding iWatch projects, spreading awareness and conducting workshops.
Hey ! Check out the literacy rate map! Is your region literate enough? Give back to your country.
About the author
Saumya Agrawal : I am currently a home maker residing in New York City. I did my undergraduate studies at Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur in Mathematics and Computing and then pursued my graduate studies at New York University in Mathematics in Finance. In my childhood I wanted to do something different. In college I always wanted to contribute to India through some meaningful contributions. So here I am trying to make a positive change through writing about the achievements of a few people through Youth Leader Magazine, who are working to make the world a better place to live in. My interests include painting, cooking, programming, mathematics and finance.